Thursday, September 18, 2008

I'm back!!

Sorry to the few ppl who read my blog for the long delay. Hurricane Ike has come and gone. My family is extremely lucky. My husband and I didn't have any roof damage, although almost every house around us does. It's crazy to drive through a neighborhood and see carpet and mattresses laying next to the street all around you. We lived on Galveston island for the last 7 years and just moved to Houston a few months ago. Can't believe how close we came to possibly losing everything. By the way, we now have renter's insurance as well.

We moved into our new house at the beginning of July, and it's the first time I've used a gas stove/oven in my life. I wasn't convinced that it was any better than electric until Ike knocked out the power!! So, we have been cooking/eating during our power outage. We spent the night of the hurricane in the walk in closet with our 2 cats. We didn't come out till about 6am. We didn't eat breakfast because we were too tired from being up all night. We mostly ate potato chips that first day. On Sunday morning, my husband cooked up some sausage and we had sausage and cheese bagels for breakfast. We realized that all of our food was already thawing that morning. So, we loaded up everything frozed/refrigerated, and took it to my dad's house. We spent the night there (tv, ac, and internet included). On Monday, we got the call that our power was back on, and we loaded up to come home.

As I said before, we are so lucky. My mom and some friends still don't have power. School will resume hopefully next Tuesday for my school district. Things are slowly starting to get back to normal. I even got gas today without waiting in a line!!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Haha, I know that renter's insurance line was just for me!