Sunday, August 17, 2008

Swedish Meatballs

Ok, so I finally created a food blog and then I don't cook for a week. My husband fried fish one night, we had fried fish sandwiches another, corn on the cob once, and a homemade pizza. As you can see, nothing much to write about that I actually cooked. Yet, finally tonight, I did cook dinner. I do want to take some time in this blog to mention the greatness of making homemade pizzas. Using pillsbury refrigerated pizza crusts in the tube make it super simple, and the best part is that you get to put whatever toppings you want on the pizza. I used the leftover 1/2 lb of pork sausage from the Meaty Cornbread Casserole over the whole pizza. My side of the pizza had black olives and slices of tomato. I made my husband's side of the pizza plain/boring with just the sausage and turkey pepperoni. I don't feel that I should actually write the recipe because I just follow the directions on the pizza crust tube. I also use pizza sauce from a jar, nothing homemade.
Tonight I made swedish meatballs. The recipe was given to us by my mother-in-law. It is really great and everyone loves them. I served them with some rice.


Swedish Meatballs

14 oz. ketchup

10 oz. grape jelly

1/2 cup chopped onion

2 lbs ground beef

2 eggs

2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 cup fine bread crumbs


Place the ketchup, jelly, and onion in a medium saucepan. Heat over low/medium heat until ketchup and grape jelly mix together. Do not boil. While the sauce is heating, place all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well and form 1 inch meatballs. Place each meatball in a crockpot. Pour heated sauce over the top. Cook over low heat for 1/2 day (or about 4 hours) until cooked through.


Note: 1 hour on high in a crockpot is equal to about 2 hours on low if you are in a hurry. If in a real hurry, just place the meatballs in a stockpot, pour sauce over them and cook over medium heat until meatballs are cooked through. While cooking, try not to stir the meatballs until mostly cooked through so that they don't fall apart. Meatballs can be made any size. We've even made them the size of baseballs for dinner. Great for parties too. Nobody will believe that grape jelly is the key ingredient!!




2 comments:

Jessica said...

We use the Pillsbury pizza dough too! Made pizza this past Friday. We always have pepperoni, green olives, spinach, feta and mozzarella. I add green peppers and sometimes onion to my half. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm in! Anixous to see if this actually posts! Yes, the Swedish Meatballs are awesome, but I only make them for carry-ins as my hubby doesn't like the "barbeque" taste. They are good over noodles, too. I think you could use the grape jelly & ketchup blend as a great barbeque sauce on anything (like spareribs!!!).