Monday, August 18, 2008

Cooked, Cubed Chicken

I usually saute boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a pan to make cubed, cooked chicken to add to recipes, salads, soups, etc. But, I found that sometimes it's easier to cook it in the oven while I'm making something else. I think this will work especially well to make chicken that easily shreds for enchiladas.

boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
salt and pepper to taste
a little water

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken breasts in a casserole dish. Add enough water to the dish to barely cover the bottom. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper (and any herbs you like). Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through. Cut into cubes.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Poaching in water is also easy, if you're wanting shredded chicken. It keeps so much moisture, so it shreds a lot easier. :)

Nicci said...

I've poached the chicken before, and I agree it's easy. I was surprised to find that the chicken came out almost exactly like the poached chicken by doing it this way.

Glenna said...

I agree that either way is a really nice "hands off" way to get the job done. In the oven's great to use that to pre-heat the oven if you're going to use it later anyway and it gives it a roastier flavor, I think.