Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Black Bean Burritos

This is easy enough for me to make for dinner the first day of school (which means it must be fast). I think my brain stopped working at exactly 2:30pm yesterday. The first day of school went pretty well. It was my 4th first day of school (as a teacher) and the first that I wasn't nervous about. I have to admit that I miss my sophomores. Juniors and seniors are too arrogant for me. Oh well, getting juniors and seniors is supposed to be a promotion (without a pay increase), so I'll try to enjoy it.


I've been reading some older posts lately which reminded me of new year's resolutions. Most people make their's in January, but I find myself running on the August-June school year schedule, and I think of changing things every new school year. I'm declaring my new school year resolutions now (so maybe I'll stick to them).


1. I will not carry other teachers. They should learn to do their own job.
2. I will try not to be as sarcastic to students (but it's ok to be sarcastic with them right?)
3. I will set a goal to have all my kiddos pass TAKS ( I know, pretty lofty, but we'll see).
4. I will not stay late at work and still bring my work home.


Ok, so I think those are all goals more than resolutions, but I'll try. Anyway, here is the busy night recipe.
Black Bean Burritos

1 - 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained

1/4 cup chopped onion

1-4oz can chopped green chilies

1/4 cup chopped green pepper

1/4 cup chopped red pepper

1 tbsp. veg. oil

3 tsp. chili powder

1/2 tsp. minced garlic

1/4 tsp. dried oregano

1/4 tsp. ground cumin

1/8 tsp. salt

8 flour tortillas

1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (or cheddar)

salsa and sour cream

Place beans in a large microwave-safe bowl; mash lightly. Stir in the chilies, onions, peppers, oil, chili powder, garlic, oregano, cumin, and salt. Cover with paper towel and microwave on high 2-3 minutes, or until heated through, stirring once. Spread 1/4 cup bean mixture down teh center of each tortilla. Top each with 2 tbsp. of the cheese; roll up. Place seam side down on an ungreased microwave safe dish. Cover with a damp microwave safe paper towel. Microwave on high for 30-45 seconds or until heated through. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

Notes: This is an easy dish, but I have to admit that it tastes like something is missing. If you have any suggestions, let me know. I think that I'll try less chili powder with more salt and garlic next time. That's just me. The original dish is still worth a try. Again, no meat; add any meat you like if have someone that refuses to eat vegetarian meals.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'd say less chili powder, more garlic, more cumin and more salt. And, when you have more time, I'd say cooking the onion, garlic, chilies and peppers in a skillet first then combining with the warmed beans might give it a bit more oomph.